Saturday, September 13, 2014

Are the Potions Living Up to Their Vows?

Hello, Hive!  I'm so excited to be back and participating in the "After the Wedding" series!  Have you missed me?  I've missed you!

This November, Mr. Potion and I will celebrate our second anniversary.  Two years isn't very long- I mean, it's ages longer than the typical Hollywood marriage, but even in today's divorce-happy society, two years can still be considered no time at all.  But unlike most couples nowadays, we got pregnant just three months into our marriage...and babies bring plenty of opportunities to test your vows.  Let's see how well we've done.

photo by One Photo Gallery

Now, we're both Catholic- Mr. Potion is a convert and I'm a cradle-Catholic- so we had a traditional ceremony and recited traditional vows

I take you as my lawful spouse, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

These vows don't promise any specific actions or attitudes- they don't say I promise to not snap at you when you're pissing me off or I promise to let you have the last Oreo in the package- they don't even say I promise not to cheat on you.  What they do say is I take you as my lawful spouse...until death do us part.  That's it.  You will be my spouse, and I will treat you as a spouse until death do us part, no matter what happens.  We vowed to be married and stay married no matter what challenges arise in our relationship, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how our emotions and feelings may change, because love is an action- a choice- not an emotion.  Love is a purposeful mindset, not something you fall into or out of accidentally.

Oh hey, wow, that got really heavy.

Thankfully, we haven't gone through any terribly trying moments in our almost-two years.  I wake up every morning and choose to be in love with Mr Potion, it's never been a difficult choice to make.

Our better looks like this:

personal photo
Our worse looks like a sink overflowing with dirty dishes, a fridge stocked with only breast milk, and stupid arguments fueled by sleep deprivation.

Our richer looks like going out or ordering in every night of the week when I'm 9 months pregnant and feel like I could eat for 10 but don't want to cook for even 2 and we haven't yet factored diapers into our budget.

Our poorer looks like discussions of no longer eating out at all and efforts to vastly reduce our grocery budget.

Neither pregnancy nor childbirth count as sickness, but if you've read my birth story (which is not for the faint of heart), you know that Mr. Potion went above and beyond the call of duty as a husband during labor and in the days after our daughter was born.  And he's done more than just stay by my side- he's continued to see me as a husband sees his wife when I was 9 million pounds at the end of the pregnancy and months later in my new, squishy, stretch-marked body.

So yes, I think we've lived up to our vows.  Though we haven't even been married for two years yet, we have faced some difficult times together- though we know that even more difficult times are yet to come- and we have continued to have and hold each other, no matter what.

photo by One Photo Gallery
Curious to know more about our life since the wedding?  Come visit me at Our Geeky Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment