Monday, November 12, 2012

The Secret Life of Bees: Potion Edition

Well, Hive, we did it- we got married!  And now that we are far away from the internet on our epic Disney honeymoon, I am reasonably safe from ridicule for what it is that I'm about to post.

That's right, I'm putting on some Gryffindor courage to share a big, embarrassing secret with y'all in a Secret Life of Bees post.

Deep breath.  Here goes.

I...am a Harry Potter fan.

I know what you're thinking- "um, duh, we saw your invites"- but I don't think you quite grasp what I'm saying.  I'm a Harry Potter fan.  As in, fanatic.  As in, borderline unhealthy obsession.

Unfortunately (well, okay, fortunately for my mental health) I'm not quite as obsessive as I was in high school when we were still in the thick of book releases, but I did dress as Hermione for a Halloween party...at work.  Last year.  As in, during the workday.

yup, this is a 23-year-old // {personal photo}
I don't think I'm really getting the point across here, though.

For every movie release, I held an epic party at my house.  We would take at least 20, if not more, people to the theater, in costume, and most of the girls would spend the night at my house afterwards.  I would turn our kitchen into Honeydukes, complete with homemade chocolate frogs, cauldron cakes, and pumpkin pasties- one year we did root beer floats and called them butterbeer.  When the first movie came out, we weren't able to pre-order tickets online (at least not for premieres) so my mom actually had to go to the theater in person to purchase 25 tickets (1 month in advance).  She was interviewed on the local news because she was the first person in line.

Nope, still not emphasizing the insanity here.

I was really, really into the online fandom.  Like, really.  Mostly as just a lurker, not really posting anywhere, definitely not a BNF.  (Big Name Fan, for all you n00bs out there.)  But I used to read the articles on the original version of Mugglenet, I followed the theory conversations on the boards over at The Sugar Quill (and was totally pulling for the One Big Happy Weasley Family theory even though secretly I knew, all along, that a Weasley would have to die.), I listened to the very first Pottercast, I waited in line at midnight to purchase book 5, 6, and 7 and would not eat, drink, or sleep until I'd finished reading.  I've never been to a Con (yet!!) nor have I met a BNF, but you guys...

I wrote fanfiction.

And it was on the internet.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'll even give you my penname so you can try and hunt it down and mock me fully (if the crap stories even exist on the internet anymore):

Drezella Eleanor Winesap.

(Variations: Drezella_Winesap, Drez, drezwinesap, drezella)

*phew* Glad I got that off my chest.

Anybody else into internet fandoms?  I've dabbled in other fandoms but nothing will ever be to me what Potter was.  Please tell me I'm not the only weirdo here...

No comments:

Post a Comment